Inside Google’s Toronto Office | Girl Geeks Toronto hosts Build, Analyze and Optimize with GooglePosted: March 19, 2013 Filed under: Event | Tags: Ali Honorvar, Event at the Google Office in Toronto, Girl Geeks Toronto events, Google Toronto Office Event, Hanoi Morillo, Inside Toronto's Google Office 2 Comments
I couldn’t resist a Girl Geeks Toronto event. To top it off, this one was held at the new Google office in the Toronto headquarters (that’s the shining logo on the building). Hold up, what is Girl Geeks Toronto?
Girl Geeks Toronto is a nonprofit group run by a committee of volunteer organizers. Every month we host themed talks, in essence mini-conferences, with speakers addressing a different aspect of the theme at each event.
My fellow girl geeks were my friends, C and R – they are both in the marketing world like me. Together, we came to listen to Ali Honarvar (Google Engineer) and Hanoi Morillo (Google Account Executive) talk about their work.
Check out that Google podium. I almost expected the letters to start animating like those doodles we see on the search page. Here we have Lindsay and Emma of Girl Geeks Toronto welcoming all 100 geeks that showed up at the event. It was a full house in the training room!
– Google Chrome’s Developer Tools can make changes really quickly and easily when Ali demo’d his flurry of code. However, it was still a bit of french to me.
– Ok, now the stuff that really gets me going. Hanoi talked about user experience and measurement as key considerations when it comes your digital space be it a website, blog, or mobile HTML 5 app. Here are a few of my favourite tweets of the night that drove her points home:
- @wendyjacinto: Top 5 google analytics reports via @HanoiMorillo – efficiency, traffic sources, device optimization, in & out, multi-channels #girlgeeksto
- @lyndonJJ: In & Out at @GirlGeeksTO. Not the burger chain but the visitor experience#girlgeeksto pic.twitter.com/yAiPlVOETc
- @communicable: “Basic channel grouping path” #girlgeeksto google that.
- @laarniparas: #4: In & Out: Why are ur site users leaving b4 step 2? It’s like deciding to get married & leaving b4 the church #kickassreport #girlgeeksto
- @suesthegrl: If you change something on your site, go back a month later & look at the analytics… They will show you if it was effective. #girlgeeksTO
Not convinced? Google Analytics gets really real in the video below – click it, and it’s going to give you a few laughs (and insight).
Geek out, the next Girl Geeks Toronto event will be posted here.
Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it
to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to
her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it
pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is
completely off topic but I had to tell someone!
This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my